We are not hiring at the moment, but we call existing applicants before advertising new openings - so please submit your resume!
You must enjoy reading, be available on nights and weekends and have reliable transportation to the store. We prefer someone with bookselling experience, but if you have some other kinds of retail and like to read, that counts! We have a staff diverse in age, gender, race and class. You are welcome here.
· Providing Friendly, Accurate and Consistent Customer Service
· Alphabetizing and shelving books, which includes
o Sometimes carrying boxes of books
o Sometimes carrying books up and down stairs
· Keeping up to date on current popular books
· Keeping the bookstore clean
· Balancing the cash drawer
· Staffing off-site author events and book tables
· Taking and relaying accurate phone messages
· Petting, feeding, sometimes cleaning up after the cat
Other duties as needed
- Priority is given to applicants who have worked with books either in a bookstore or a library.
- Priority is given to applicants who have retail experience. Left Bank Books serves a diverse community – readers. You should have an appreciation and respect for people of all races, genders, sexual orientation, socio-economic class etc.
- You should have a general knowledge of basic computer skills. We'll train you to use our quirky inventory system, but it's best if you have a good beginning.
- You should have no allergies to cats. Spike is here to stay.
- You should have a flexible schedule. Nights and weekends are pretty important.
- Reliable transportation is a must.
- We allow a monthly book credit for each of our booksellers.
- Our employees receive a discount on books they purchase.
- Full-time employees receive free health care and dental benefits.
- Full-time employees receive vacation time after one year of service.
- Many of our booksellers are poets, artists, teachers and activists. You're sure to find kindred spirits here.
- You'll have the opportunity to meet many fascinating authors as they tour through St. Louis.
- It's the weekend and you want to make plans. How do you get the information you need to plan your weekend?
- I just read Cutting for Stone, an epic novel that spans three generations of an Indian expatriate family in Ethiopia. I really loved the sweeping family saga and the political intrigue. What should I read next?
- What do you look for in a good bookseller?
- What are three things a retail sales associate should be able to do?
- Please tell us about your last customer service experience with Left Bank Books. Do you have any ideas about how to make it better?