We are looking for a Bookstore Manager
This is a great opportunity to play a central role in the operations of a nationally-recognized, 50-year-old independent bookstore with a reputation for diversity, community engagement, and one of the largest and most dynamic author series in the country. You’d be working closely with the owners to oversee the operations and supervise the work of 15-18 full and part-time staff members. Click here to apply
Central duties may include:
- Creating the weekly work schedules, coordinating time off requests and finding coverage for people who call in sick
- Working when there is a last minute shortage that cannot be filled another way
- With the owners, interviewing and hiring new staff
- With the owners, handling disciplinary issues and time-off requests
- Training and supervision of training new booksellers
- With the owners, reviewing and revising procedures and policies
- Scheduling staff meetings
- Meeting regularly with the owners
- Setting the “plan of day” and organizing the floor and back room staff priorities
- Ordering printing and other operating supplies
- Making sure the store, inside and out is clean and equipment is in good repair
- Handling inventory control software/hardware issues in coordination with owners and IT support
- Resolving inventory discrepancies
- Handling customer service issues both in the store and online
- Ensuring that staff complies with the store’s established best practices
- Assist in planning occasional special events, including Independent Bookstore Day, Small Business Saturday, Reading Group Appreciation Night, the CWE Book Festival and other and other creative one-time partnerships.
- All positions at Left Bank Books require some phone and front desk bookselling
- General oversight of the operations, bringing issues to the attention of the owners on a timely basis
Desired skills and qualifications:
- A high level of organization, especially when managing calendars, high volumes of email, and time sensitive tasks
- A high level of written and verbal communication skills, as well as interpersonal skills
- A high level of ability to prioritize, delegate, and manage your time
- A high level of ability to collaborate with others, problem-solve and maintain a positive communications style
- Comfort with having “hard conversations”
- Ability to empathize
- Ability to maintain a level-headed response to stress
- Fluency in MS excel and basic accounting principles preferred
- Fluency in MS office suite
- Availability and willingness to work a mix of days, nights and weekends
- 1-3 years of retail management experience, 3 years or more of independent bookstore experience, or equivalent, relevant experience in the overall world of publishing.
- Knowledge of Local First issues and ability to talk about and advocate for independent bookstores is preferred
- Access to a car is necessary
Salary and benefits to be discussed. Left Bank Books is a diverse, close-knit staff of 15-18 full and part-time booksellers.
Pay is consistent with our industry and includes:
- Prepaid health insurance
- Paid vacation after one year
- Book credit
Please refer to our general bookseller job description below for the basics.
We are not hiring booksellers at the moment, but we call existing applicants before advertising new openings - so please submit your resume here!
You must enjoy reading, be available on nights and weekends and have reliable transportation to the store. We prefer someone with bookselling experience, but if you have some other kinds of retail and like to read, that counts! We have a staff diverse in age, gender, race and class. You are welcome here.
· Providing Friendly, Accurate and Consistent Customer Service
· Alphabetizing and shelving books, which includes
o Sometimes carrying boxes of books
o Sometimes carrying books up and down stairs
· Keeping up to date on current popular books
· Keeping the bookstore clean
· Balancing the cash drawer
· Staffing off-site author events and book tables
· Taking and relaying accurate phone messages
Other duties as needed
- Priority is given to applicants who have worked with books either in a bookstore or a library.
- Priority is given to applicants who have retail experience. Left Bank Books serves a diverse community – readers. You should have an appreciation and respect for people of all races, genders, sexual orientation, socio-economic class etc.
- You should have a general knowledge of basic computer skills. We'll train you to use our quirky inventory system, but it's best if you have a good beginning.
- You should have a flexible schedule. Nights and weekends are pretty important.
- Reliable transportation is a must.
- We allow a monthly book credit for each of our booksellers.
- Our employees receive a discount on books they purchase.
- Full-time employees receive free health care and dental benefits.
- Full-time employees receive vacation time after one year of service.
- Many of our booksellers are poets, artists, teachers and activists. You're sure to find kindred spirits here.
- You'll have the opportunity to meet many fascinating authors as they tour through St. Louis.